Mercedes Unveils Electric SUV In EV Race Against Tesla, VW
Electric SUV In EV Race Against Tesla, VW
BY TYLER DURDEN THURSDAY, JAN 21, 2021 - 5:45
Daimler AG's Mercedes-Benz rolled out its battery-powered EQA
SUV as part of a plan to take on Tesla and Volkswagen.
Mercedes-Benz's first fully-electric SUV will be available in
the coming months. EQA's retail price will be set around 47,541 euros
($57,734) and have a range of approximately 486 kilometers (302
unlike Tesla Inc.'s Model 3 or Volkswagen AG's ID.3, Mercedes-Benz outfitted an
existing combustion-engine vehicle with electric motors instead of developing
one from scratch.
German manufacturer modified the underpinnings of its GLA crossover to reduce
upfront investment and save time compared to building an all-electric vehicle
from scratch. It's a trade-off that often comes at the expense of driving
distance and production-cost efficiencies," Bloomberg said.
Bloomberg Intelligence analyst Michael Dean said Mercedes's
lower-priced electric cars would drag on profitability "until the company
develops EV-specific underpinnings and battery prices drop further."
The price of a lithium-ion battery pack is expected to drop in
the next couple of years, allowing automakers to manufacture mass-market
electric vehicles for the same cost as those running on petrol.
The cost right now stands around $137 per kilowatt-hour. As soon
as $100 per kilowatt-hour is reached in the next couple of years, it would
allow major automakers, such as Mercedes-Benz to generate profit
from the sale of the vehicle.
Daimler Chief Executive Officer Ola Kallenius expects the
electric shift will eventually make it to larger vehicles such as S-Class
and GLS SUV.
the first time, we are offering our customers an all-electric Mercedes in the
compact segment with an extensive range that ensures its viability in everyday
use," Mercedes sales chief Britta Seeger said in a statement. "The
new EQA is an important vehicle along our path toward the electrification of
all our vehicle segments."
Mercedes-Benz will enter the mass-market electric vehicle space
in 2024 or 2025, suggesting that Tesla's European dominance is running out of
World’s 1st remote brain surgery via 5G network performed in China Published time: 17 Mar, 2019 13:12 · A Chinese surgeon has performed the world’s first remote brain surgery using 5G technology, with the patient 3,000km away from the operating doctor. Dr. Ling Zhipei remotely implanted a neurostimulator into his patient’s brain on Saturday, Chinese state-run media reports . The surgeon manipulated the instruments in the Beijing-based PLAGH hospital from a clinic subsidiary on the southern Hainan island, located 3,000km away. The surgery is said to have lasted three hours and ended successfully. The patient, suffering from Parkinson’s disease, is said to be feeling well after the pioneering operation. The doctor used a computer connected to the next-generation 5G network developed by Chinese tech giant Huawei. The new device enabled a near real-time connection, according to Dr. Ling. “You barely feel that the patient is 3,000 kilometers away,” he said.
Facebook says hackers saw personal info of 14 million people The exposed data included relationship status, birth date, hometown, education and the 15 most recent searches, Facebook said. by David Ingram / Oct.12.2018 / 9:55 AM PDT / Updated 10:54 AM PDT Facebook said on Friday that hackers were able to access the personal information of 14 million people through a security flaw that the company first disclosed last month, and that the data exposed included information such as recent check-ins and searches. Facebook said in a blog post that people would be able to check whether they were affected by the attack by visiting a Facebook help center online. The company also said that in the coming days it would send customized messages to users to explain what information might have been accessed. The social networking company disclosed two weeks ago that a security flaw in Facebook's "view as" feature had allowed hackers to see into and potentially take
Too Much Power to the People? A Food Safety Site Tests the Limits Several national chain restaurants have been the target of complaints on IWasPoisoned.com since the site began in 2009. By KEVIN ROOSE FEB. 13, 2018 Dan Laptev, an electronics analyst, was making his way through the Charlotte, N.C., airport this month when he stopped at Starbucks for a light dinner — a ham-and-cheese sandwich and a cup of hot chocolate. He ate, drank, boarded his flight and got home. And that’s when the trouble started. Mr. Laptev spent much of that night hunched over the toilet with a violently upset stomach. Suspecting his Starbucks meal as the source of his ills, he sent a complaint through the company’s website, but got only an automated form email back. So he did the next best thing: He logged on to his computer and went to IWasPoisoned.com, a website that allows users to post reports of food poisoning, and submitted his saga. “I wanted to let people know to stop eating at Star